Wednesday, May 18, 2011

May 2-6 – skull



                The skull. Dun dun dun.  Most beginner drawers, especially children start the body by drawing the head.  Furthermore, they draw a big ol’ circle.  It’s the right way to start, but now at a college level we know it is more complex than a simple sphere.  We also know you should start with the ribcage and work your way around the body to the hips, legs, shoulders, arms, then the head. 
                I was pretty satisfied with my drawing of Rob on Friday.  I realized that I work better if I don’t think super hard about the pose right away.  The final product is more successful if I start by quickly sketching what I see (gesture drawing style) then going in with the exact angles and details.  It’s easy to use vine charcoal when doing gesture drawings because going that quickly, you do not have to pull out an eraser each time you make a mistake, just swipe it away with your hand. 
                On this drawing, that’s what I did with the head and it ended up being almost the exact right size.  I actually don’t think Amy looked at it to critique it.  At first his hair kind of looked like a helmet on his head, but I thought about how hair is kind of a helmet to protect our head or at least keep the heat in.  When I stepped back and focused on the body as a whole it did not look helmet like.  That made me glad and so I left it.
                I am also happy with the way his arms turned out.  They are proportional to the rest of his body and his elbow hits at the right spot on his side.  I did not make his hand just a regular ball or sausage fingers, but carefully arched the start of his fingers and kind of squared them off.  I’d call it a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment