Wednesday, May 18, 2011

March 28-April 1 – Sitting in Chair


We focused on the arms one class this week.  It’s easy to get caught up in the idea of starting with the arms since that was the main focus of the lesson.  I had to make sure to remember to start off by drawing the rib cage, then the legs, shoulders, then finally the arms.  The muscles making up both sections on the arms surprised me a little.  I didn’t think about how many overlap each other or how many muscles it really takes to reach for an object.  It was especially apparent when doing the Manniken.  I was debating whether or not to make the biceps body builder status, but decided against it because the arms would look foreign compared to the rest of the body and wouldn’t match up size wise.  Maybe if someone had an unlimited amount of clay they could do that.  I’m glad we don’t have to feed our manniken’s.  I feel like Oliver would have a hearty appetite.
Arms really are a huge part of our daily lives.  (Then again I don’t think you can say any part of the body is insignificant. They all play a huge role every day.)  The fact that these things that seem like branches coming out of us can hold all of our weight to do a push-up or pull-up is so interesting.
Drawing proportions has become so much better for me!  If you really just stop to take the time to look and analyze each piece in relation to the surrounding parts, it all fits together like a puzzle.  The human body like a puzzle.  I’ve never thought of that analogy before and just realized it really works.  There are a bunch of small pieces that look kind of weird and alien like by themselves, but put them all together and what do you got? Bippity boppity boo… a human. 
Amy corrected the angle of the elbow on this piece.  It was slightly off.  Also, I drew her head in lightly since I don’t really know how to get the shape right yet.  The more practice, the better ya get!

No comments:

Post a Comment