Wednesday, May 18, 2011

About April 11 –Hand Skeleton


The skeleton of the hand is one of my favorite parts of the body.  The different sections each have a different shape and they work together to accomplish crazy tasks.  Tasks such as drawing, flossing, writing, holding a baby, eating are all very important things to be able to do.  I liked how by looking at the skeleton we could see the exact shape of the bones.  You don’t get that with the human hand.  The shapes are unique and before this class, I never thought about how each section of bone is shaped a bit like an elongated figure eight. 
The skeleton hand reminds me of my sister’s hands.  In a good way, though.  It comes from my grandma, they’re hands meant for piano playing kind of.  My fingers are long too, but not as long as hers.
Amy helped me out by telling me to be sure to make the plane changes clear.  It may seem a big blocky when you’re first drawing, but then if you stand back and examine it, it looks very realistic.  Plus, if you add in some light shading to the sides, you can clearly see the difference.
It was nice that in the room there were individual bones of the hand we could look at as a reference.  Being able to hold it and turn it around in your hand up close to see the plane changes helped a lot.
It would be interesting to look at the skeleton paws of say, a poodle and compare/ contrast the bones to that of a human.  Even between a baboon and a human.  They’re probably very similar.  You have to wonder if gorilla hands with their big old sausage fingers have bigger bones than us. 
How our hands grow from when we are babies is an interesting thought.  I love baby hands they’re so chubby and cute.  What tiny bones they must have.  That makes me think of x-ray machines and how advanced technology is getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment